HOW MUCH DO LEAKS COST?
Compressed air is one of the most expensive utilities in any manufacturing facility, but many companies don’t realize how costly it can be, and how much of that cost is just being wasted in compressed air leaks.
Let’s look at a simple example:
- A 75kW compressor, working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week – around 2080 hours of operation a year.
- We assume an energy cost of 0,10 GBP/kWh (average cost in the UK for industrial users).
- 75 kW * 2080 hours = 156000 kWh of energy used in one year.
- At a price of 0,10 GBP/kWh, total energy cost is £15,600/year.
We also know that:
- On a typical facility, around 30% of all compressed air is lost to leaks.
- If there is no leak management program, the percentage will be even higher.
In the example provided above, we would be losing £4680 per year just in leaks! And this is only from a simple 75kW compressor running 8 hour shifts, 5 days a week.
IMAGINE THE COSTS FOR SITES WITH MULTIPLE COMPRESSORS RUNNING 24/7!
ESTIMATE THE COST OF YOUR LEAKS
Want to know approximately how much are compressed air leaks costing you?
THE SOLUTION: FIX THOSE LEAKS!
Leaks are and always will be a part of your process. Can’t stop them from appearing – but they need to be managed. When companies do nothing about their compressed air leaks, they will eventually need to buy more compressors, which will of course be costly to run.
- A more efficient and energy-saving solution is to find the leaks and fix them.
- Easy way to find leaks: using an ultrasound instrument.
- The most cost-effective ultrasound instruments cost around £1000.
- Meaning most facilities can easily have ROI (Return on Investment) within 1 year.
There are many ultrasonic instruments available which can give you ROI in one year, depending on your plant and how much you are losing on leaks. And these instruments can even do more than finding leaks.
These tools should be considered by any facility, since they are versatile, easy to use and will give a quick ROI just by finding those expensive leaks.
EXAMPLES OF ULTRASONIC INSTRUMENTS
Simple and cost-effective instrument, very easy to use. Can also be used to quickly troubleshoot bearings & steam traps.
Digital instrument, perfect for energy conservation programs. You can register the data regarding your leaks and create leak cost avoidance reports using our free DMS software or the LeakSurvey app (for iOS and Android).
Digital and data collection instrument, with frequency tuning. This allows not only for leak detection, but also an efficient inspection of bearings and steam traps. Can be used for route-based inspection, together with our free DMS software.
Request a Quote
The perfect instrument for a complete ultrasound program. Suitable for all applications & advanced data collection activities. Features a camera, touch-screen and sound recording capabilities.