In many facilities Ultrasound detection instruments are used for safety, environmental, and energy conservation programs.
For EX rated areas, we have ATEX instruments available.
Why Use Ultrasound for Leak Detection
Compressed Air Costs Money!
- Industry average 31% of energy use can be avoided by just fixing leaks
- Reduce running hours / wear and tear on existing equipment
- In many cases a lower spec or shutdown of a compressor can be the result
- Cost avoidance, expensive to buy or produce
- Environmental impact of certain gasses
- Achieve better efficiency of the process
- Run pressures or vacuum pressures at desired levels
Inspection Efficiency & Inspector Safety
- Flammable gasses = safety concerns
- Refrigeration systems: Use Ultrasound for “bigger leaks” in combination with gas detectors for small leak levels, making your inspection time efficient
- Using soap water creates simultaneously a safety hazard & creates extra work
- With long range detection it is possible to use an Ultraprobe at 50 feet (15 m) distance, so no need to use a ladder or lift for detection.
How Does it Work
Using the characteristics of Ultrasound, locating leaks is fast and easy to do so because of:
- Directionality of sound waves makes locating the source easy
- Intensity of signal: the closer you get, the more sound you detect
- Fixed frequency, making it effective to locate even in a loud factory environment!
As any gas (air, oxygen, nitrogen, etc.) passes through a leak orifice, it generates a turbulent flow with detectable high frequency components.
By scanning the test area with an Ultraprobe, a leak can be heard through the headset as a rushing sound or noted on the display/meter. The closer the instrument is to the leak, the louder the rushing sound and the higher the reading.
Should ambient noise be a problem, a rubber focusing probe may be used to narrow the instrument’s reception field and to shield it from conflicting ultrasounds.
In addition, Frequency Tuning (available in most models) dramatically reduces background noise interference to provide ease of ultrasonic leak detection as never before experienced.
Compressed Air Leak Surveys
One of the more popular applications for ultrasound is compressed air leak surveys.
Utilizing UE Systems patented software for compressed gas leaks users are able to locate and report on cost estimation per leak while also demonstrating the reduction carbon footprint.
- Locate the leak site fast & easy
- Tag the leak site & record values with our digital Ultraprobes
- Report cost avoidance potential & produce repair reports
LeakSurvey app (iOS and Android)
This app lets the user create a compressed air leak survey report. Once leaks are identified and information is entered, the data can be used to generate a comprehensive excel report that include estimated CFM loss, up-to-date cost avoidance, leak location photos (taken with your smartphone or tablet ), and greenhouse gas reductions.
Survey quality assurance is optimized by identifying leaks that have been repaired and leaks that have not been repaired. Also works with specialty gases like Argon, Helium etc.
This app works with all digital Ultraprobes from UE Systems, Inc.
We have a range of instruments available from cost effective leak detector to digital tools to enable reporting functions.